Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Putting the pathetic in "apathetic."

I’ve been feeling a lot of apathy toward broadcasting our life on the internet lately. My life feels really cozy and happy these days. I work, he studies, we go to the gym, make dinner, watch a Netflix TV show, do laundry, rinse, repeat. Sounds drab to the outside world, but I couldn’t be happier with it (the only exception being the NASTY confrontation I had with our refrigerator this morning because the fruit drawer REFUSED to open more than two inches and I had to weasel my hand in there for my grape tomatoes and as a result my hand is scraped and raw. Lame 1970’s fridge.).

Said apathy is probably stemming from the fact that I recently deactivated my facebook account. I was realizing (and so was spouse) that following the people I love via virtual reality always winds up making me feel so blue. I miss all you people who don’t live here, and wind up feeling even farther from you after going through your photo albums of “Baby’s 1st Photo Shoot” or “Pictures of the Triathlon” or “Weekend in ______ City.”

Then, I inevitably start asking myself, “Shouldn’t I be doing/learning/making all the things that ____ is? Shouldn’t I be traveling to ____ like Whoseewhatsit? Did I miss my opportunity in life to become a _____ like JohnJaneSmithDoe?” And thus, I get myself wedged in a weird funk of patheticalness (yes, this is a real word per dictionary.com). I’m not proud of it, but it happens.

So, I’ve gone cold turkey. I feel like I’ve been unplugged from the Matrix. I feel like I’ve commenced some sort of 12 step program for addicts. I feel like Jessie from “Saved By The Bell” after Zach stages an intervention to get her off caffeine pills after she has a nuclear meltdown and she misses her girl-band performance (“I’M SO EXCITED! I’M SO EXCITED!”). Maybe someday I’ll want to dive back into my electronic friendships, but for now I feel like life is treating me right.

And this video that Harry found is also treating me right.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Speaking of pathetic, I know exactly the episode you are talking of. I can picture it all in my head...the girls in their spandex for the music video, etc.
Another pathetic, I've never even been on FB. Well, I've never had an account, but I check on Austins periodically.
And a lot of people feel that way with blogs too, does that mean you won't blog? Say it isn't so!
And I think you are wonderful and fabulous and you live your life and do your thing and don't worry about the little things, cuz guaranteed there is a friend of yours out there looking at your online life saying "Why can't I have hair like that Sarah Eaton Reynolds?" "Why can't I cook blueberry pie like Sarah?" It's the nature of the beast.

Alisha said...

Yo, I hope you don't stop blogging because I love reading yours. I often find that my favorite blog posts are the ones where people let me in their thoughts a little. It makes me feel close to them. That's my blogging flaw. My blog is more show and tell, not very personal, and I'm trying to work on it.
I love your blog. It mirrors you. I miss you. And your blog makes me feel like you're not so far away.

Karina said...

I totally know what you mean. I know a lot of people who are done with facebook and blogging for the very same reason. I find that I get blue after I compare my life to others as well. Maybe I should follow in your footsteps! I do wish I could write like you though...Your blog always makes me laugh.

ps- what's up with those man made beach animals/sculptures? Weird.

The Special Reds said...

Sarah, I know I never comment on your blog, and I hope you don't mind if I do, but I had to say something about this post! I actually have never joined facebook for that reason, and many others. Even with blogging, I get that feeling sometimes--why add more, you know? And I've noticed that Facebook keeps everyone in the world TOO connected, you know? So connected that when you actually get together with people no one knows what to talk about because everyone already read about their entire life on facebook. So whenever I'm somewhere and start asking questions, people feel like they're repeating themselves, like, facebook is the first means of communication. Anyway, those are my thoughts! But yes, I like reading your blog occasionally. You Eaton girls sure know how to tell a story! --Kera