Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tidbits/segues

Exciting tidbit: it finally happened. I am the proud bearer of an iPhone.



(seen here eternity-style because of it's reflective screen and the fact that this picture was taken with Photo Booth. Trippy, no?)

I feel like the training wheels have finally come off my bike after years of T9 predictive text and a 1 megapixel phone camera. It's like we had a baby or something. Like all of a sudden I own this incredibly fragile and complex thing and I have to somehow keep it from dying. It's a weird mixture of joy and intimidation. In the words of my sister, "it's like a tiny computer that also happens to have phone capabilities." I'm already in the midst of 2 scrabble games and have created my ringtone thanks to the help/brain of my lover. You can hear the song I chose for it below-- "Innocent Bones" by Iron and Wine (except for the tone I made for my Mom-- that's Carla Bruni. More personalized ringtones are forthcoming. Leave all personalized ringtone requests in the comments if you are so inclined/particular).



Topic segue: General Conference Weekend has just come to a close and I loved every last second. This is not me tooting my own spirituality horn. Conference, for me, came at the perfect time. Last week was the worst kind of insane. Too many things (albeit good things) took up my mornings, evenings, and nights. Weeks like this make me feel like I'm hurtling through space with not a solitary grasp on anything.

Thus, General Conference this year was perfect.

In between sessions on Saturday we meandered down to the farmer's market at Stanford shopping center. We picked up tangerine habanero mustard, fresh amadeus cheese, peppered salami, olives stuffed with blue cheese and feta, bridge mix (!), Stewart's orange cream soda, Henry Weinhardt root beer, fresh raspberries... it was magical (being on something like a diet lately not all of those things made their way into my mouth, but we bought them, and that's something).



For two days I got to sit and enjoy not only the company of the husband I never saw last week, but I also got to sit and let my proverbial brain sponge soak up all the goodness, reassurance, and resolve of the leaders of our church. It couldn't have come at a better time, and it couldn't have been better. If my being had been scattered all over various corners of the universe, then Conference gathered all the little pebble pieces and placed them inside a pretty little linen drawstring bag, and I feel like I'm myself again.

Plus I started knitting this scarf.



All is right with the world.

7 comments:

Meredith Hayes said...

I really do love this blog.

Whits said...

Yayyyyy iphones. We need to facetime sometime! We can set up our VTing and other hangings outs that way.

Margaret said...

Can you make "You'd give your life for me" errr "I'd give my life for you" my ringtone?
Make it happen. Love you.

S.A.R. said...

marg- no, but i can make one that sings, "wishing i was somehow here again, wishing i was somehow neeeeear."

Margaret said...

Ha! Oh that just gave me a good little laugh.
I will make one that sings for you too: "Soon, I'd leave you, off I would go in the midst of day, never never to knoooooowww....how you loved me, if you loved me."
But the phantom is still funnier.

Alisha said...

Can you have my ringtone, "Shake ya tailfeather" by Nelly. I'd call you a lot.

[AnnieR] said...

Dibs on something Rod Stewart!