Sunday, December 5, 2010

Music, lately.

Some of our all time favorite musicians have graced the Bay Area with their presence lately. We saw Brandon Flowers (lead singer of the Killers) and his opening act, Fran Healy (lead singer of Travis) at the Oakland Fox Theater a few weeks ago.

Highlight: The two headliners came out and sang “The Grass is Always Greener” together. Pictured below is Fran.



Fran Healy told about how Paul McCartney(!) agreed to play bass on one of his songs. To return the favor, Fran decided to become a vegetarian, like Paul is, as a grand gesture of gratitude. In return, Paul sent him four of his late wife Linda’s vegetarian cook books. I came THIS CLOSE to buying a Linda McCartney vegetarian cookbook myself when I got home… and then I realized, “Oh wait. I LOOOVE me some meat.”

Brandon’s moves during “Only the Young” are not to be trifled with.



But this is the picture I took.



Something we are extra excited about is Imagine Dragons.



They are honestly our favorite band to see live these days. We got to see them twice, because they were on tour going up the California coast (stopping in SF to play at the enormous Apple store downtown) into Oregon and Washington, and when they came back down they stopped in San Francisco again to perform at Café du Nord.

I’ve never met a single person who doesn’t like Imagine Dragons. All of their songs carry the perfect blend of Las Vegas synth and rock, creating a dance-inducing addictive sound. Their set is always over way before I want it to be.

We’ve seen them many times, and we can’t get enough. If you’re curious you can stream songs from their two EPs (and find out when they are coming to a venue near your house) at www.myspace.com/imaginedragons.

This is one of my favorites.



As is this.



We also got to see two more bands perform with Imagine Dragons that were really great live-- St. Motel and Nico Vega. I would wish this music on anyone. They can be checked out here (Nico Vega) and here (St. Motel).

Here they are at Cafe du Nord.

Nico Vega:




St. Motel:




Imagine Dragons:




I'm stopping now. Because we're watching "Lost," and we're on Season 5, and things are getting cray-zay.

No comments: