Thursday, December 15, 2011

Name:




I love my maiden name.

It's a really good one.  I got some teasing growing up here and there for it, but that never really got to me.  I was always the only Eaton I ever met (that I wasn't related to by blood).

The nicknames that come with a name like this are GOLDEN.  I've been called:

  • Eaton-cheese-n-crackers
  • Eaton-Eaton
  • E-tone
  • Eat-a-ton (not actually a favorite but still gets a spot on this list)
  • Etonian
  • Eat-o
Bonus round of meaningless trivia:
  • One of my favorite shows from BBC of all time, "Upstairs Downstairs," takes place at 165 Eaton Place in London.
  • I've visited the actual Eaton Square in London.  Vivienne Leigh and Sean Connery have lived there. 
  • According to this website, there was a Sarah Eaton who came to Plymouth on the actual Mayflower.
  • Princes William and Harry attended Eton College (perfect if not for that missing "a"). 
When I went on my London Study Abroad program, there were three other Sarahs in our class.  I was pretty much known by my last name that entire semester to avoid confusion (except for the occasional "Sarizzle"), which I absolutely loved.

Recently at work, I started being called Eaton-Eaton out of the blue by a coworker.

When I married my favorite person of all time, and took his last name, there arose a bit of confusion because his sister shares my first name.  There are now two Sarah Reynoldses.  So from time to time, I go by Eaton in the Reynolds family to differentiate.  I never mind it a bit.

I love my new last name.  It's treated me right.  Every once in a while though I get something in the mail with "Eaton" on it, or the people at Safeway call me "Mrs. Eaton" because I still use my mom's Safeway card.  And it gives me a little burst of nostalgic happiness, and I wind up doing something frivolous about it, like, you know, writing a blog post.

6 comments:

Steph said...

I love "Upstairs Downstairs!"

And I loved calling you Sarizzle. Did I come up with that? I think so, but if not I'm claiming that shiz now.

Steven and Wendy OBryant said...

I still and always will refer to you as Eaton-Eaton.

Unknown said...

I totally understand--somedays I miss my maiden name, too (Mabey--like "maybe').

Steph said...

A man a plan a canal panama.

S.A.R. said...

All these comments are golden, but Steph... the extra points are yours.

And just because I want extra points.... A Dan a clan a canal Canada.

Grace Hart said...

I totally understand! It took me 2 years to officially change my name- mostly because it was a huge hassle, but (maybe) just a teensy part of me was sad to let it go. Anyway, love Sarizzle, and going forward that will be what I call you :)