Monday, October 3, 2011

Mountains, ocean, and a serious plethora of pictures

We were lucky enough to steal some time at the end of the summer and go to Duck Creek, UT to the cabin with my cousin Becca and her fiancee (now-husband... more on that coming) for a few days.

We cooked, baked, hiked, ran, read, speed-scrabbled, and watched movies. We also did the Cascade Falls hike together. And we fiddled with the Canon camera that Harry got me for my birthday. I think it's time I learned how to take real photographs, and though this camera has all the knobs and buttons of a spaceship, I'm learning about all of them a little bit at a time.

**I posted so many pictures previously that I have almost used up my allotted free google space.  So a lot of the pictures are now gone, and are available on request, although I would be really surprised  if you did, because this post is now old.**















Then Harry and I got in our little college cars and hauled it back up to Palo Alto. And then 48 hours later, we had our last hurrah of the summer by spending a few days in Monterey Bay and Carmel, a short 2 hour drive from our home, and a dreamy dreamy dreamland of dreams. 

On the way we stopped by Marianne's Ice Cream parlor at the recommendation of some good friends.  We ate Cardamom and Pistachio flavored ice cream, and our taste buds will never be the same.

We stopped in Santa Cruz and wandered down the boardwalk. And saw a bunch of seals who were being rather noisy, and doing what me and my London friends call "The Manheim Steamroller," ie climbing over your fellow beings instead of walking around them.



Planking seals- it's an epidemic

We got to Monterey, explored the town a little bit, found a sushi place, and enjoyed the view from our room.




The next day we drove the 17-mile drive down the coast, and hiked around Point Lobos.





Then we high tailed it home and settled back into our 1960's-era apartment.  Bring it on, autumn.

5 comments:

Megan said...

You are so adorable!! I love all these pictures!! I miss you so sarita!! I wish you already lived here! So happy you had so much fun!! Love you!! Oh and your photography skills are awesome!! Keep it comin!

The Tengelsens said...

Sarah,

AWESOME pictures. Fun to get an update!

Jessica said...

Look at your snazzy photog skills! I take it you didn't end up going to Seattle, but your trips look so fun.

Brie and Jeff said...

Marianne's is so delicious! Our friends took us there a couple years ago. So many choices!

Carrie said...

So glad you're back! Also, I can't believe you had sun in Carmel. I have never seen the sun there!