Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentimes


I loved Valentine's Day this year!

Since I began working for the University back in October, a funny thing has been happening.  I’ve been earning more than before, and yet, it vanishes faster than it ever has.  We have been battening down the hatches on all excess spending, and still we find ourselves in a mild panic every time a big expense comes along, which is more often than ever.  Sometimes I get envelopes in the mail, just knowing they are from someone telling us they want more of our cash for things like the BAR exam and all that comes with it, and I want to make finger guns at them and shoot, going “Pshew-pshew-pshew.”

Thus, we planned on a modest Valentine’s Day this year.  I told Harry I’d cook something at home, which ended up being more convenient anyway since he had a late class that night.

After some general hemming and hawing, I decided on the menu:

·         Filet Mignon au Poivre
·         Roasted red potatoes with fresh rosemary
·         Arugula and radicchio with herb mustard vinaigrette
·         Artisan bread with olive oil and vinegar
·         My own drink concoction- Diet Vernor’s Ginger Ale + Welch’s cranberry juice (I wanted something pink or red), in a goblet, of course
·         For dessert, I consulted Pinterest for inspiration and baked two individual pies in canning jars


We ate on cushions on the floor at our coffee table, and draped a pink linen dish towel that my mother brought me.  It has “LOVE” embroidered on it, so it was only right.  As a final touch, I played some Carla Bruni in the background.





I have to say, I much preferred our evening at home to going out.  We went out on the town last year, and it was really great, but it was nice to keep things mellow and easy at home.  I love that there was no parking, no pricey bill, no wondering exactly what goes on back in the kitchen, and that we ate in peace and quiet.

After that, he jumped up and did the dishes.  To be fair, I was folding laundry, but I still so appreciated it.
Then he somehow rigged a giant white sheet over the bedroom closet door, and we used our LCD projector to watch “The West Wing” in bed.  We rarely watch TV in bed, since we can both be such insomniacs, but it was really fun, and so much more comfortable than our 1960's love seat.

Perfect evening.

1 comment:

Meredith Hayes said...

loooooove is a many splendored thiiiiiiing