Saturday, January 5, 2013

This Just In!

When you've been absent from your blog for this long, any good idea for a post title always feels pretty lame.

It's 2013! And for the first time in a long time, the new year is coinciding with huge life changes for us, so I am taking a leaf out of my sister-in-law's book and making blogging a regular thing again.

Here's where we are:

For the first time ever, Harry and I are really on our own in the real world. No more classes, no more loans/subsidies, no more student housing, no more school/certification deadlines. Since I was 18 I've been accustomed to distant, hovering, school deadlines that are years away, and didn't realized how much I'd settled into the student life mindset. That's all over now, and it's thrilling and terrifying.

We are in Los Angeles until we deign to leave, and we honestly don't know if/when that would occur. There's an inevitable struggle for me when I move to a new place. No matter how many times you do it, learning a new place and making new friend is intimidating. Provo and Stanford took major adjusting, but when the time came, I desperately didn't want to leave. Irvine and Las Vegas are always hard to drive away from too. I don't know L.A. at all, and I don't identify with anything here, which is strange considering I grew up only one hour away. But I'm excited to love it here too.

I saw this on the internet a few weeks ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It's definitely a bit trite, but it's something I'm constantly reminding myself of when I get discouraged or scared of all the adjustments looming ahead of me.


This is the first January where I'm really starting completely fresh, and I want to make it the best year possible for us. Time to get comfortable being out of my comfort zone.

So if you like to read the awkward ramblings of a woman trying to figure out what to do with herself in the face of huge life changes, you've come to the right place.

No comments: