Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oranges and (f)unemployment

Nothing makes my day quite like a cold, juicy, tart orange.

I needed a really quick energy boost at work today, and there were no 5-hour Energy drinks around (or as Jerry Seinfeld calls them, "meth lab hawaiian punch jello shots"***), and realized I had a plump, pulpy orange sitting patiently in my lunch bag in the fridge.

So I tore into it and ate it in probably less than five minutes (necessary peeling time inclusive).

And then I realized that this is one of the last times I will be doing this, this being chomping an orange in my desk chair, because very very soon, I will be not-so-gainfully-unemployed, or as I like to call it, “(f)unemployed.” Yep, the start-up I have been working for since we moved here about 1.5 years ago is calling it quits.

It’s sad to see everyone go their separate ways, especially when we had such a good thing going here. Gripes about obligations to retrieve food/coffee daily aside, I’m very lucky and happy that I had this job, the people I worked with were a lot of fun, and I learned some important things.

I have an odd mixture of emotions, but mostly I’m just excited to dive into something new. I’m already doing my best to get back into the work force, but I have a secret volcano of happiness erupting in my wee heart at the prospect of not setting an alarm next week.

Sidenote: Dare I say it? I still wish I were in graduate school, with a little more direction/inspiration. Especially since, you know, I live on a campus, surrounded by people with tuition bills and, yes, direction/inspiration. But as Harry says when he’s in a lovingly snarky mood, “Patience, my pet, patience.”


*** I don’t actually drink 5 Hour Energy, though I am regularly irritated by their remarkably mediocre commercials when I’m trying to watch “Parks and Recreation” on Hulu.


PS Today I've been married for 1.5 years. It's been good to me. Probably because Hal has been so good to me.

4 comments:

Meredith Hayes said...

Of all the siblings, you'd expect me to HAVE tried 5 hour energy. But I haven't either.

The Tengelsens said...

Yeah for unemployment!

Karina said...

A juicy orange sounds really good to me right now. I have the same feelings about school every day. I hope I go back soon :) On the plus side....you get to sleep in! Wahoo...maybe an Irvine trip is the future?

Katt said...

I can't wait for our Wednesday outings (yep, I haven't forgotten)!! I'll show you FUN-employment!
I haven't tried 5 hour energy either. I refuse to endorse a drink that has such a lame commercial.