Friday, March 11, 2011

Asian Food Invasion

Let's rewind time about seven years.



Picture an 18-year-old me, living in the dorms at BYU, having a nice dinner with some freshman year buddies in the legendary Cannon Center. This was a special night, because there was a stir-fry theme going on, and there were stations set up with frying pans, burners, various meats, veggies, and noodles for us college kids to combine and fry and flavor.

My friends and I chowed down, feeling like we belonged on Iron Chef.

Fast forward five hours.

I'd been lying on my bed in the fetal position ever since dinner, fighting a wicked disturbance in my innards. My roommate got a hold of 2 of our guy friends to give me a blessing. Shortly thereafter, I ran up to my dorm room and... the stir fry... er, relocated. Into my trash can.

From then on I had a very rocky relationship with Asian food (which rules out an awful lot of good things). The smell of soy sauce made me queasy. The words "sweet and sour" made my stomach (and buttocks) clench. A sizzling wok had the propensity to blur my vision and make my knees wobbly.

Fast forward two and a half years.

Harry Reynolds asked me out.

The night of our date, I was hiding a 100 degree fever and bronchitis behind many many ml of Dayquil. My roommates knew about the crush I had on Harry, and knew only a trip to the emergency room would be sufficient for me to call off this date. They rallied and surprised me with a box of Dayquil, a bottle of orange juice, and a new tube of lip gloss (which I still own!).

The restaurant we pulled up to was Bangkok Grill, and I swallowed my first bite of Massaman Curry and was hooked (and I knew I really liked Harry).

This date has gone down in the history books as the best date of all time.

Fast forward four years.

I gave him this for Christmas this past year. To enable my Thai food addiction. I think it's wise to give Christmas presents to my spouse that enable my own addictions (that's why I "give" him bridge mix from time to time- and yes, he's an excellent sharer).



And already we've enjoyed Thai Beef Salad, Thai Beef Soup, and today the list grows with our two recent Asian culinary adventures.

Thai Green Curry with Chicken:









and a little Chinese dish called Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli with Oyster Sauce:







Recipes can be found here(Green Curry) and here(Beef and Broccoli).

I've been using an app/website lately called MyFitnessPal. I'm on the brink of obsession. It not only tracks the calories you eat and burn throughout the day, for FREE, but it has a recipe calorie calculator as well. I think it's always kind of nice to have an idea of what you're putting in your mouth, so here are the nutrition facts for these recipes, if you're interested:

Green Curry:

(Serves 4)

Calories: 628
Fat: 25 g
Carbs: 58 g
Protein: 41 g

Beef and Broccoli:

(Serves 4)

Calories: 493
Fat: 30 g
Carbs: 25 g
Protein: 36 g

Stating the obvious: No, these are not "light" or "low calorie/carb/fat." By any stretch of the imagination. Just know that the servings are huge, so you can usually halve them pretty easily. Trust me-- every bite is worth it.

3 comments:

The Tengelsens said...

Yum. This looks delicious. We will have to try it. And oh those college years. We had a blast didn't we?

S.A.R. said...

Seriously. Hey, do you have those pictures of when we stuffed balloons into our clothes? When we lived in Mountainwood? You remember the ones I'm talking about? This was probably sometime between Nov 2006 and Feb 2007 ish?

Alisha said...

I WOULD consider them low calorie. If you ate that many calories at every meal you'd eat less than 2000 calories. And you'd be eating those calories in a healthy form, not snacky crackers. I'm getting off my soapbox. Going to try these recipes and maybe the apple site too. Thanks for sharing.