Sunday, June 28, 2009

What Jacko's death means to me.

I don't claim to be a major Michael Jackson fan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always up for listening to the greatest hits, and my freshman year roommate and I once stayed up all night long watching "Thriller" on repeat so that we could learn the dance, and look super cool at the Ward activity the next night. "The Way You Make Me Feel" is the official favorite of the bunch, ever since my brief 8th grade obsession with the movie "Center Stage" (the movie preference soon died, the song preference did not). I have attempted the moon walk several times (in private) and wished I could get it down. But that's really the extent of my fanhood.

When I heard he died recently, I realized that there was a brief but undeniable Michael Jackson presence the night I got engaged.

When Harry came to pick me up from my sister's house for "dinner" (a.k.a. "sneaky secret proposal"), Elizabeth pointed out that I looked like Michael Jackson because of my shoes-- I often wear gym socks around the house because my feet are always cold. When Harry came to pick me up, for some reason I had slipped on my flats over my socks in my rush to get out the door. The gym-sock-black-flat-combination channeled the Michael Jackson vibe to my sister, and she insisted we take an "MJ" picture in commemoration.


And just for good measure, a little "Thriller..."


Something must have been right about it, because only 4 hours later...


I went from "that girl Harry dates" to "that girl Harry's marrying."

Thanks for getting the evening started out right, Jacko.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

This is your week! Good luck with everything, and try not to stress! Everything will be wonderful, I'm sure! Congrats!

Unknown said...

I came across your blog from Kristi's. Anyway, I just got your announcement in the mail and just wanted to wish you two a very happy wedding day in two days. How exciting! Is it okay to add you to our blog roll?

Harry said...

Hey, absolutely! Sorry for the delay on getting you the announcement. I had to get your address from your sis via my brother. P.S. The wedding was fantastico! Thanks for the good wishes.

Meredith said...

Did you know it also don't matter to Jacko that you're both white? But he's black AND white, and that don't (does) matter to him either.