Monday, November 23, 2009

Hey, you're my cousin!

Living in Utah for college was fantastic for many reasons, but one of the BIGGEST was the fact that it was crawling with Eatons/a variety of McOmbers/Baums. Without getting too complex, the McOmbers are my cousins, and the Baums are their cousins, but we all call each other cousins. We're all for streamlining complicated family relationships.

Some of my happiest college memories are of all of us driving up to the fantastic home of the Farmington chapter of the McOmber family, and having a giggly cousin time over bowls of Fall Medley, home made granola, pistachio nuts, and of course, a tall glass of Diet Coke with lime.

It was discovered a while ago that one of the Baum cousins would be serving in the same mission as my brother Cam. This week, they finally ran into each other! Elder Baum saw Elder Eaton and said, "Hey! You're Elder Eaton! You're my cousin!" Are there many better sentences to hear when you're a missionary in a foreign country? Probably not.

Here's a picture of the happy meeting:




Speaking of my most choice brother, I'll be so happy when he's home in 6 months and I won't have to get all teary eyed every time I hear the song "Wonderwall" by Oasis or "High and Dry" by Radiohead. Gosh, I know missions are challenging and all for the missionaries, but sheesh, I think I've really sacrificed a lot here. I mean, look at this guy.





(Yes, this picture does a better job of showcasing my ability to look like a camel, but he's in it.)

I think it was Plato who once said, "Family is the shiz."

Yes, Plato, it is.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Yea for cousins! I was waiting for those two to meet. I can't believe Cam is home in 6 months. Crazy.