Thursday, July 15, 2010

Don't you test these besties.

(I can't seem to stop quoting the Harvard Sailing Team Boys Will Be Girls video. I'll post it at the bottom. You should just see it. Really. Chalk it up to cultural literacy.)

In the past few weeks our lives have been the best kind of topsy turvy, and it all began (and this post will end with) a visit from my cousin/sister-from-another-mother, with whom I lived in college for two years and with whom I also shared pounds and pounds of bridge mix during my BYU days, who was a bridesmaid in my wedding and is one of the best people I've ever known. She came out to PA to see me and to celebrate her golden birthday. Needless to say, I was counting down the days until her arrival for months in advance.



Here we are in our undergrad days. Head lamps and night bike rides. Typical.

Just after Harry and I had picked her up from the airport, our incessant chattering/holler-style laughing began, and Harry gave me a knowing look that said, "Oh yeah. Now I remember what it was like when you two lived together."

We spent the weekend galavanting, eating, laughing, talking, planning, nostalgia-inducing, and in the words of Sense and Sensibility's Mrs. Jennings, "tasting the delights of the season!"

This included:

-Stanford Shopping Center (and all it's diversions!)
-Menlo Park Goodwill Boutique (Anthropologie belt for a fifth of the price? Don't mind if I do!)
-See's chocolates (at 10:30 am, no less)
-Sprinkles cupcakes (key lime zest IN THE FROSTING)
-Cheese House (roast beef + egg bread + house spread)
-Three episodes of "Lost" (Desmond, we love you)
-Swimming at a delicious swimming pool with fantastic friends (laughed so hard I started coughing uncontrollably)
-Darbar Indian cuisine with cousins/friends/lovers (I loved me some Saag)
-More cupcakes (this time with lit candles)
-Endless youtube videos ("Poor him some malk, Josh!")
-Going on a 5 mile run that happened to have a halfway point at Grandma and Grandpa's old house (we stood outside and took pictures like stalkers)
-Getting 1/2 off at Pinkberry during happy hour (I've never been so excited to spend $2.25 on yogurt)
-Delicious dinner at cousin Kate's house with her delightful and adorable brood, of which I have no pictures (we both have closet fears that our children will never be as cute as our nieces and nephews. Thanks a lot, siblings/cousins).













Note: We also recently moved into a new apartment, though calling it "new" is actually the fattest lie I've ever told. There was an issue with our original academic year lease that could not be renewed. I'll spare you the frustrating details. Luckily we're learning to love it. I'm learning that washing dishes by hand is super fun, and that our prison style bathroom has this very Dungeons and Dragons-esque charm about it, and our mattress has a nice dip carved out in it just big enough for me! And best of all... this apartment is what I'm calling my "third world experience." Who needs the Peace Corps? I'm living it right now, friends.

Bad jokes aside, we had the best weekend. I'll spare you the speech about how much I love the people in my family/life, because once I start I find that I've written paragraphs and have to pare it all down to a few sentences (and why do something that resembles homework if you don't have to?). Suffice it to say, heaven itself wouldn't be complete without them. And I'm so happy I got to help my cousin ring in her 24th birthday on the 24th.

And now, without further ado... the video I cannot stop watching....

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Wait - where are you this summer? Are you in California or Vegas? Cause if you're in California, I would LOVE to see you.

[AnnieR] said...

Dibs, I'm the bald guy who ate two pieces of cheesecake for breakfast.

I've been watching the Yosemite Double Rainbow Guy video that Joe posted on his FB wall all day. It just gets funnier and funnier.

P.S. - So In the picture of Becca with her hair up, I thought she had cut it really, really pixie short and thought it looked super cute, even though her long wavy hair is mega beautiful and I totally want to cut it off and make a wig out of it for myself. She really can't go wrong anyway she slices it. She's a beauty and I've always thought so--when Elizabeth would show me pictures of her the cousins and she was like 7. And you're looking might svelte and gorgeousimo yourself there, Miss Thaaaang.

Julie said...

Cousin best friends are the best kind.

I love Desmond too.

Emily said...

Sarah, bless you for introducing us to this youtube clip. I owe you. The "besties with testies" ending may be the funniest thing I've ever heard. In my entire life.

S.A.R. said...

Carrie- I'm really in Vegas, I was in Palo Alto for just a wee chunk of time. Sad! When do you guys leave?!

Annie- I have seen the double rainbow video (part of it anyhoo) and I laughed my behind off. If only that were really possible!

Julie- We have been slacking! What season of Lost are you on now?

Emmy- I have been finding ways to use that line... at least ONCE a day. :) It's a fun challenge.

Margaret said...

You guys have too much fun together. I think you need to stop. Unless you invite me, then that is okay. Otherwise stop, please, you are killing me.