Thursday, February 10, 2011

A world without the right Mary Poppins

Once when I was a little kid, I was watching "Mary Poppins." I don't quite know how this thought arose, but I started thinking to myself, "What if Julie Andrews' parents never met? What if they never had her? Then Mary Poppins would have been played by someone else! And if no one had ever heard of Julie Andrews because she didn't exist, Mary Poppins never would have been a good movie! And no one would know it was because the movie was made without her!" And I began a mini panic attack, trying to imagine how we could all get along in a world where Julie Andrews did not play Mary Poppins.

I remembered this little episode last night when I was hopped up on Nyquil and Vitamin C-Monster Odwalla juice (yet another cold has struck me down! That's what I get for galavanting around SLC with my cousins/brother all hours of the night and day this past weekend...), talking to Harry about how if we hadn't met/run into each other in the library/dated, that we could have wound up with other people! And that is such a crazy thought to me. I cited the experience above re: Julie Andrews, saying "Harry, the thought that we might not be together is just as horrifying as the thought that Julie Andrews may never have played Mary Poppins! It's just so wrong!"

And then I paused and realized, "Yeah, this is one of those weird thoughts that I should just blog about."

And, there you have it.

3 comments:

Steven and Wendy OBryant said...

I introduced Naomi to The Sound of Music yesterday. Coincidence that you blog about this today? I think not. On to Mary Poppins, Naomi!!!

Meredith said...

I myself have often wondered where we'd be without Julie. The Princess Diaries would have had to use Woopie Goldberg instead!

Carrie said...

a long long time ago, around the time we met, i posted this very same picture on my blog. here's the link.http://chrisandcarriehillier.blogspot.com/2009/10/i-got-job.html i hope it brings you peace and joy and employment.

ps- chris and i drove past the gamble gardens yesterday and i thought of you.

pps- all the time i think about how weird it would be if i've never met chris or what if i just walked to school a different route one day and never met the girl that became my best friend at byu... it's really enough to blow your mind.