Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Papa Bear

March is replete with special days, but today is one of my favorites.

Today, my Dad is another year older, and 15 years wiser.

(Yes, his wisdom ages 15x the speed of his life. In wisdom years, he is 885 years old today. Sometimes I am suspicious that he is really an immortal Adelard of Bath. This has yet to be proven, and is in the works.)

Growing up, I thought everyone's Dad was like mine. It wasn't until I passed the formative years that I realized that not everyone's Dad is a self-taught Stevie-Ray-Vaughn-esque blues player, brewer of their very own apple cider vinegar and barbeque sauce, pontificator of Isaiah and Revelations like it's child's play, puller of gospel principles out of the "Godfather" movies, nor Scotts-Irish player of the bagpipes that could make a leprechaun do the Macarena.

He's also one of the most selfless men I know, who in his day has put up with a houseful of sea ponies, barbies, power rangers, *NSYNC (cue the hanging of my head in shame), and incessant Disney movies without batting an eye. He showed up to countless Cross Country meets, plays, and choir performances, sometimes driving to the most obscure corners of California to be there. He's counseled me on everything from making friends to dealing with life's disappointments, and his advice has always proven to be right.

One of the fondest memories I have of him goes back to my Senior year of High School. When I was already admitted to BYU, my parents got a little loose on the school attendance, and if I didn't feel like going sometimes, they'd kind of look the other way about it. My Dad even invented a pseudo-gang sign for it. I'd ask if I could skip class, and he'd sort of criss cross his fingers, then criss cross his arms, and then in the most rebellious voice he could muster, he'd say "DITCHIN'!"

He's the best Dad, and is revered by many, and I think we can claim to have the most delighted and adoring feelings of all.

Happy Birthday Daddio.



You are the King Bee and the favorite of the hive.

4 comments:

Meredith Hayes said...

giggle giggle over your 15 yrs wisdom to 1 yr age.

you're right. dad's advice is good. had he known i was buying it, he would have advised AGAINST the sugar free nutella.

and yes, you may be somewhat off the beaten path and proud now, but YOU were OBSESSED with fritz, carl, omar, maurice, and what was the other one? i can never remember. anyway, giggle giggle.

send me an email!! zap!

Meredith Hayes said...

plus i REALLY like your blog's current color scheme. bravo.

S.A.R. said...

1) The other one's name was Jerome.

2) I email you you email me! Boom pow!

Margaret said...

Happy Day Uncle. What a great uncle you are!

And Sarah, don't hang your head in shame. I was in college when NSYNC was huge, COLLEGE!!! and I still somehow learned the dance to Bye Bye Bye. I believe my neck is a bit longer than yours and therefore my head hangs in shame even lower.

Oh and I went to their concert. (head in the ground)