Friday, March 19, 2010

Horses and Dreams.

I share a few key characteristics with horses.



Namely, a busy mane, brown eyes, and thunder thighs.

Today, friends, the list grows.

I have eaten my way through one of these bad boys




ENTIRELY by myself.

Yep (Whinnying with pride).

It's the perfect way to start my day at work. I get to steal a minute of alone time at my desk with a steaming bowl of nature's finest (and Black Beauty's favorite) breakfast. Something about a warm bowl of something that I can shovel in with a spoon and don't really have to chew very much in the morning steels my nerves for the day ahead.

The fact that consumption of a large container of oats is on my "recent accomplishments" list reminds me that college is over. My big accomplishments now consist of my ability to eat the same thing for breakfast for two months.

Sometimes I wish that it were normal to get at least 3 degrees in 4 years (those prodigy kids who become professors before they can drive don't count). By the time I got out of BYU, I realized there are at least 4 other programs I would have loved to try. If I could go back, I would jump headlong into the Clothing Construction program. And I would have gotten a degree in American History. And then I would have studied Graphic Design or Illustration. And then maybe I would become a nurse. I miss learning in a classrom, instead of doing the same things I do at work, which mainly numb the brain.

My job does teach me that earning money and working with people who are decent and nice are good things, and I can't knock that. Still. Is it wrong that I find myself visualizing the BYU Testing Center and I no longer break out in a cold sweat, but feel a glistening perspiration of nostalgia and longing?

Everytime we see something that dazzles me, like that gorilla playing the drums for the Cadbury ad, or read something really moving, or see something that requires a lot of skill, I think, "Oooh! Let's get a book on that!" so that I don't have to feel like all that learning is over.

I think this thought is inspired by "Good Will Hunting" when Matt Damon says to a Harvard know-it-all, "You dropped 150 grand on an education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."

(Disclaimer: This is not a slight to higher education-- in case you didn't know, we've dropped a pretty penny ourselves on some hefty tuition of late.)

Case in point: I want to be someone who can do 500 things really well, and for now, I do maybe 4 things kind of well. And one of those 4 things is eating oats for breakfast.

Here's to a lifetime of reading up on how to do the other 496 things.

I'll raise a goblet of steaming oatmeal to that.

Bottoms up!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hear, hear. I feel the same way. I want to be better at so many things. Currently, I am really good at acting like a four year old and eating ice cream. You know, it takes gumption and self discipline to eat a whole can of oats. Good for you!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarita! I feel the exact same way about missing college and missing the whole "learning new things" concept. I now wish I paid more attention and wasn't so focused on getting out. Work is good, money is good, but it's just not fulfilling like school was. I've decided to go back for a Master's in Speech Pathology, which, if I recall correctly, is what you want to do too right? I'm hoping to start taking the prereqs this fall if CSUSM lets me back in. I'd also love to go take a class on art and photography.

On another note, congrats on the oats accomplishment! That was quite healthy of you!

Alisha said...

Oats are loaded with fiber which is good for the pancreas, heart, intestines, and keeps you fuller longer so you're not hungry by 9:30 and have to grab a snack from the vending machine. It is also chock full of straight from Mother Earth nutrients that are readily absorbed and used to keep your cells replicating young, instead of cancerous.
I love oatmeal and lecture Paul frequently on its superiority over cereal. Your skill is to be applauded. And I'm sure you've already felt your body thanking you.