Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bad-A

When I was a kid, my mom used to take me with her to her aerobics class each week. A whole bunch of young to middle-aged women would dance around in the gym



while us kids would play with our tonkas.



Anyway, it was the same CD every week, so I really have this engrained heritage of 80s songs that are on automatic play in my brain every time I work out. The trouble is, they're not exactly the kind of songs that I would ever listen to on my own, so I only know the songs through the filter of a three-year-old mind.

Like today, after Sarah and I ran to the gym, worked out, and ran back, I just couldn't get the "guacamole" song out of my head. The trouble is, I couldn't get enough of it in to my head to explain to Sarah what song was stuck in my head. So I went to www.midomi.com and spent three unsuccessful minutes singing "guacamole, mo mo mo" with no tangible results. Aparantly I sound more like Daft Punk's Technologic. Bummer. Anyway, I finally figured it out.

It's Billy Idol's "Mony Mony." Maybe I would have guess that if Mony was actually a word. So, I had to hear the song again, which meant coming across this little gem of a video:



I think I understand now why those women wore those leotards. I mean, Billy Idol was pretty bad-a.

3 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

What? Huh? Joe Garlock? I'm confused. What's confusing me even more is how I can be confused by something yet simultaneously believe it to be genius.

[AnnieR] said...

Like that grubby kid is Joe? Obviously it's been awhile since you've seen him because that kid wears more pomade greasy greaser goo in his hair than...I don't know who but someone extremely flammable. No wonder he wants to be a fireman. He wants to make sure he'll know how to put out his own hair-fire when it happens, which is will at some point. Especially if he ever goes to Vegas. He'll just be walking around in the crazy heat with his slick hair and VOOSH! Up in flames. For his sake, I hope he's walking by the Bellagio when it happens.

S.A.R. said...

We were looking at the picture of the tonka truck kid and we were both like, "You know, that kid looks like Joe Garlock." In the very best of senses. Maybe it's the smile? Can't be sure. I think I've been looking for the black version of Joe ever since he told me that Cameron is the white version of Jay-Z.