Monday, September 7, 2009

One of those memories you forgot you remembered.

I am officially in training for the Salt Lake City Half Marathon, coming to a Salt Lake near you in April 2010. Yes, I'm starting now. Yes, I really have that long of a long way to go.

This morning on my usual route, for some reason I couldn't shake the memory of my Northwood High Cross Country days. A combination of awkward teenage years, hot and dusty trails, and a healthy fear of the rage of the all powerful Coach.

And I couldn't stop picturing Coach Rossi/Ohrn/Gates yelling all those Cross Countryish things from the sidelines.

"Ten quick steps!"
"Dynamite! THINK DYNAMITE!"
"Let your legs go! JUST LET THEM GO!"
"You can catch her, Sarah, I saw her! She's DYING up there! GO GET HER!"
"Keep your eyes up and REEL HER IN!"
"BANG THE DRUM! BANG THE DRUM!"

I even recall one of Brie Gassin's coaches saying (direct quote): "Run like the track is giving birth to you." Wow.
Maybe it's the fact that it's fall now, and the Cross Country season is raging. As are the motivational yelling phrases, I'm sure, on that little track field at Northwood High. And the weird thing is, I kind of miss it.

4 comments:

Brie and Jeff said...

ha ha ha yes, yes they did say that. and I tried my best to follow it. ;)

Margaret said...

I love the 'track giving birth' to you quote.
maybe I'll see you at the half-marathon...maybe not though.

Tiffany said...

So cool sarah! Are you going back to Salt Lake for another reason? Why did you choose there?

S.A.R. said...

just doing salt lake with my sisters and cousins! all are invited to join in the fun! and the slc half was the only one that worked with schedules. :)