Sunday, September 20, 2009

Big Hass Avocados

Yeah, so my post titles have been a little redundant lately. So what.

Yesterday while at the store buying salsa materials (along with pizza-making supplies and my new favorite brand of ice cream) we came across a giant bushel full of "Big Hass Avocados" for sale. Apparently Hass is some variety of avocado. Who knew? Anyway, that inevitably led to our lunch today consisting of fresh homemade salsa, fresh homemade guacamole (yes, inspired by the Billy Idol song), and nuked tostitos cheese dip. And white corn tortilla chips. Delicious. And actually remarkably good for you (aside maybe from the plastic cheese dip, a new guilty pleasure of ours). I'm going to open a restaurant someday that only offers dips. It's going to be upscale, dimmer-ly lit, and adventurous. Imagine sitting down to hot bean dip, cheese dip, artichoke-spinach dip, french onion dip, dill dip, salsas, bruschetta, clam dip, etc. No silverware--just a variety of dipping devices (baguettes, vegetables, various chips) that you use your hands with. And it will mostly be a pretty healthy meal, too. It'll start as a rumored, word-of-mouth kind of place, with a non-desrcript exterior but really nice interior. Just barely pricy enough to discourage families from coming, it will be more of a date spot. Inevitably, though, the Applebee's-Chili's-Macaroni Grill conglomerate will open a franchised "family-friendly" knock-off called Skinny Dipping and then we'll end up in the courts even though I'm a nice guy and I'll get nothing and then I'll write a book and sell the movie rights though no one will make the film and I'll end up with just passing mention in a Michael Moore film and live out my days in comfortable retirement with my grandkids sweeping up the shop on the weekends. But, hey, that's the course all dreams run.

4 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

Not only am I extremely offended that you're discouraging families from eating at your fantasy dip establishment, I think it's a bad fantasy business move. Someday you'll find out how much kids love dipping things. Fantasy parents would be clamoring to take their fantasy children to your fantasy dip place so that they'd actually eat their fantasy food they paid for with their fantasy money. Hmpff.

JH said...

I would make the pilgrimage.

It sort of reminds me of a place in a Vegas hotel I can't remember that escapes me, but it's where Matt Pruitt and I saw High School Musical the play in summer 2008. This is, by the way, Merzy. I just realized I'm on Jeff's account and now I'm too lazy to sign out and sign back in. ANyway, this little hip spot sold only sweet potato fries and various dipping sauces. It was DELISH. SO GOOD. I think I made several attempts to return but never did before moving back to CA.

Alls I'm sayin is, I'd make the pilgrimage to your spot. But I'd be offended if you were mentioned even in praise in a Michael Moore movie.

Alisha said...

I think the clam dip needs rethinking. Could it instead be an apricot brie dip?

Harry said...

That too. I don't even know where to begin to imagine how that would taste, but I think amazing. You would understand the clam dip if you ever had Mara's. Made from scratch. To die for.